Sunday, February 3, 2008

RL v1.10.1, RR v1.13 and the wikis

I've been so busy lately I couldn't even find time to post on my blog. Sorry for staying silent.

As you already know, I have released RL 1.10.1 with many new features (and a few bumps), mostly aimed at furniture and cage designers. The more I work on this project the more easily I can separate different kinds of bondage toys. Attachments you wear, furnitures you sit on, cages you walk in. I'm sure there are more, but that's already a lot because they all are handled totally differently.

I am way too tired to post the list of new features here, but just so you know I have stopped providing the API to the viewer in a text file, and put it on the Second Life wiki instead so it's easier to read and to make sure you're reading the latest version. You can find it there :

RestrainedLife API

Right after that I started working on the next version of all the restraints I sell, mostly to get rid of some bugs but also to make them up-to-date with the RL viewer natively. I have also put a lot of work in reducing the spam for people who don't use the viewer. It had grown to become a big concern to some, lately.

And last but not least, the relay specification. Now that was a tough one. You already know that only objects owned by you can issue commands to your RL viewer, and this is for security reasons. Earlier posts on my blog were talking about how to let task IMs to control the viewer remotely, but it proved to be a bad idea. So a relay was in order, to repeat chat commands sent by in-world objects to the viewer. And not just any relay, a relay that would work with any furniture, and furnitures that would work with any relay. All of them implementing the same specification.

As we don't want another Lockmeister/Lockguard dilemma (furniture makers know what this mean), the spec has to be easy enough, secure enough and robust enough. I could use the precious help of Chorazin and we slowly tested the spec against a cage and a sample relay. And today I could test both at the same time, and it worked at first try ! This was a relief. I know this specification will evolve with time but I think we have solid grounds to have furniture and cages send commands to the user's viewer... I had a shiver up my spine when I entered Chorazin's cage and it suddenly prevented me from teleporting out, editing and rezzing stuff... I was truly stuck.

You can find the specification here :

RL Relay specification

It's a bit technical, but designers should have no problem to understand it. If it's not clear enough, I'll update it anyway.

And what about the Banishment Program ? I am not rushing on it, and I need some rest. Lots of rest. But I'll keep you posted.

Marine

PS : Still nobody found the solution to my little enigma... Here is a tip : it comes from a series. A very popular one.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know about this "bk program" I've heard about. It supposedly prevents use of the regular viewer.

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous

*lol* sure, prevent the use of the normal viewer and how do you think that could work?

Everthing RL can do ends at the end of your internet connection. Your computer will stay your computer as long as you are not stupid enough to get viruses, trojans or worms on it.

Only thing that you can do is IM the Owner/master that the regular viewer was used and even that can be worked around if you really want to. The only questions is then, why did you agree to use the RL Viewer and try to work around it afterward.

Anonymous said...

That's why I said supposedly. I'm just curious about what it really is.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelley, is there anyway to turn off the version reports being IM'd to me when i'm the key holder. It's becoming quite spammy.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Marine,
the new updates and fast fixes you made were awesome! i do have one suggestion though. Can you make it so that all the new plug ins deactivate when the cuff is unlocked? i have an extra script for the no detach even when unlocked so i cant remove them. We liked that the previous scripts like noTP and the no sitTp were active only when they were actually locked. Now it takes Mistress a few minutes to set each plug-in (no channels, no stand, deny wear, no inv, etc...) trouble is, when she unlocks me, she still has to go in and turn off each one again. we found out the hard way that just unlocking the cuffs doesnt deactivate all the new plugins. (she unlocked me and logged off, i spent the next two days unable to get to my inventory and naked with my chat channels denied. Is fun when your Mistress does it on purpose...but not when it is an accident) Anyway, we would love it if after she decides all the plug ins she wants set.. if she could just activate by locking the cuffs and then deactivate all at once with unlocking. Another option that you or others might prefer is to just have a menue choice of "plugins on/off" so again once set, they can be all turned on and off at once easily.
Thanks again for the updates, the new additions truly are awesome! I cant wait to see how your banesuit project is coming along.

Anonymous said...

Hi, me again. Just had another thought that i wanted to share with Marine or any cage makers reading this. In case anyone hasnt thought of it yet... now that the viewer and plugins can remove clothes and deny wear, hopefully that function can be added to objects. i imagine stepping into a cage and as it is locked suddenly all my clothes are gone, leaving me totally on display until i am released. or pieces removed one at a time. Even just detecting clothes... maybe the prisoner has to remove or be penalized. Same with objects. being forced to sit on something and as you sit, suddenly you are strapped naked to a rack or cross.... would be a nice aaddition to incorporate into new designs

Anonymous said...

ok, one more and i promise i will stop spamming you blog with my thoughts. if possible, sort of combining my last two thoughts would be a nice addition as well. in the outfit plug in you could have a setting that automatically removes all clothing or combinations if possible. I picture that option for those into self bondage and using the autolock and timers. That way someone could set all the options and then set an auolock... then walk around normally but with no way to stop it... and when it activates you are locked up and all the plugins go into effect, suddenly you are naked, unable to dress, and locked in whatever configuration chosen until the timers run out.

Marine Kelley said...

Anonymous : Never heard of that program, but it supposedly would run with the automatic IMs sent to the keyholder telling them the sub is using/not using the RL viewer.

Karma : My first name is Marine. There is no way to turn it off as of now.

Shandra : Unwearing the item when it's unlocked is the only way to lift all restrictions at this time, I'll think about a way to lift them when unlocking for a next update. About the autolock triggering a remoutfit, no I don't think I'll do that.

I'm not going to work on the viewer or on my stuff for a while anyway, I need to rest. Sorry. However there are a couple of bugs and a feature that scripters need I'd like to add for 1.10.2 but that's about it, nothing fancy.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Marine, I did know that. I miss typed and there's no edit. Enjoying your work, so thanks for everything :)

Anonymous said...

Since I am not planning to use the RL viewer, I was wondering if there are any negative side effects from removing the 'Lockable_Check_RL' script from the restraints?

So far it seemed to work flawlessly, but of course I can't really judge whether something bad, like other scripts going mad in the background, is happening.

Marine Kelley said...

Karma : np, no offense taken here.

Moragor : Yes you can safely remove Lockable_Check_RL without any side effect whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

I've run across strange bug on the 1.10.1 and latest 1.13 (with the most current update)...

the Control plugin shows that I AM running the RL viewer, but the Outfit plugin claims I'm not.

My gear reports the RL viewer:
Steel Shackle (RW) 1.13: Using RestrainedLife viewer v1.10.1

I've tried a full reset and everything. Not sure what I should do next... Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

I have seen some plugins popping up recently, which are offering addictional services like friend-/masterlists and other things.

Now I was wondering, if there exists a documentations about the plugin system and how these plugins communicate with the restraints.

Beside that, I ony wanted to give my kudos to you Marine, about the 1.13 release. The changes to the RL-check together with the realkey changes in 1.12 made my wishes about the RR line come true :-)

Anonymous said...

Stephan Halley from SecondLife.
I love your work. The viewer is great.
I think i have the solution to your little riddle. It's from "The Simpsons" and grandpa said it to little homer.
(S09E03)

Regards

Anonymous said...

Hi Marine,

Thanks for all the work On the viewer competely love it..

But.. and here comes the butt.. I have downloaded the latest version but when the .exe file is clicked the process is started according to Task Manager but completely nothing ever happens. I can then click the .exe file again and another instance of the application is seen. By this time I am running 100% utlisation and dieing!

Anny thoughts.. I know a couple of other have had the same issue when I raised in in SL.

Thanks

Martha Hifeng (SL)

Sean Mortlock said...

Hi Marine, The Restrained Life Relay allowed me to make my bondage cross work with the Restrained Life Viewer. The effort was small and the result impressive ... no standup button, no tp, being rebound with relog ... amazing. Thanks for making this possible.